Friday, October 3, 2008

"I just want to smell you."

Have you ever caught yourself enjoying the smell of something that really, you shouldn't like at all? But for some reason you can't stop smelling it? I've definitely heard some people say that they like the smell of skunks. It's like that. But it can happen with anything. I guess it's different for different people. It's so secret, though. I bet that some people never tell anyone about their secret love for the smell of fresh urine. I bet most people don't even tell themselves that.
Something to think about.
Anyway, it seems that smell has become a prominent subject in my life at present. Strangely enough, smell-related incidents and comments have been flying left and right these past few weeks. Like a monthly catchphrase. But it's a sense.
Smelling is actually very nice. I remember reading in a psychology magazine that smell is the most powerful sense, and can have a very real impact on your psychological state. It sucks that as humans our sense of smell isn't so great. Sometimes I envy blind people, who, they say, have a heightened sense of smell to compensate for the loss of vision.
But just imagine dogs. They must perceive the world so differently. Maybe to the point that instead of "seeing" the world, they smell it. And they use that "smell image" to navigate through space and time. Smell-ship.
I mean, I don't mind vision so much. I love colors. And light. Light can change everything. I think my favorite is yellow light. Natural yellow, though, like the light in the park that comes through the leaves of trees. Yeah, sight is pretty awesome. I remember reading an article that was about people who were blind from birth who got surgery to give them sight. These people couldn't navigate the world, because they couldn't distinguish depth from all the blobs of color they saw.
I wonder what that's like. Deconstructing vision, taking away interpretation, until it's just a flat plane of color and shape. Brains are funny things.

1 comment:

clea said...

i love the smell of urine and smoke in a good bar's bathroom. you know it's been loved....