Sunday, September 28, 2008

I Really Only Believe What I Have to Say

It always seemed to be a good thing to try and understand other people's perspectives on everything that happens. Like, you're always supposed to think about the other side and consider their opinion along with your own. I guess the intended effect of this is that everyone makes logical decisions while keeping in mind everyone else's thoughts.
But, I can't help feeling lately that even when you do understand someone else's perspective, and take it into account along with your own, what can you do about that? You're probably nine times out of ten not going to change your mind in their favor just because you realized the reasoning behind their choices. Is it just the awareness that counts? If so, who really cares? What good is it to anyone to say "Oh, I considered your opinion, and I understand it but I'm still choosing me every time"?
I guess the most you could hope for is for people to be more sympathetic, and not get angry when an idea opposes their own. Even though they may not turn around and stand behind it, they won't be actively attacking it, I suppose. Tolerance, maybe.
But doesn't that just sound unremarkable and insufficient? The human race, yeah, they tolerate each other. That sort of sucks.
But maybe that's all we can manage.

No comments: