Friday, September 5, 2008

Overexposure

There's always something going down at my friendly neighborhood 24hr Wallgreens. I've been in there quite frequently as of late, since I've been trying to figure out the inner workings of my friend's cameras and how exactly they apply to the stupid dark, blurry photos that I keep picking up after the requited one hour.
It's actually sort of embarrassing because there's this one guy who's always there when I drop off or pick up film and he always asks about the camera and generally seems to want to help me, but I'm having a hard time conveying that I'm really just fucking around and don't want to read the manual, and seriously don't worry about my underexposed negatives. But he's just one of those nice guys.
Then there always seems to be one or more older and perhaps senile fat men there, having inappropriately loud conversations. The first time the two were shouting at each other, ten feet apart, about how they had doubts about McCain's vice president being able to run the country in case of his death.
It was sort of interesting watching the two, who seemed more to be yelling into the open air than at each other, with a sort of vacant look in their eyes. I guess you have to be a little bit outside the mainstream consciousness to start a heated political debate in Wallgreens.
On that same occasion, as I was walking through the parking lot to my van, I overheard a girl who was sobbing as she talked to a guy, who I'm assuming was her boyfriend. She was wailing about how some guy cut her off in traffic and was swerving between the lanes and she was so scared and (then her cell phone rang...) And in a perfectly normal voice, she answered, "Hey what's up?"
I can hardly wait to pick up my next roll of foggy, black pictures from there and see what sort of drama Wallgreens has to offer me.

No comments: