Saturday, September 6, 2008

The Food Channel In My Brain

So apparently, I failed to properly "Do It Myself" and now my kitchen table from IKEA is wobbly. It's really driving me crazy.
In other news, I'm figuring out how to make breakfast tacos that are somewhere near half-savory. The potatoes are always the defining factor. (I've decided to start out basic with the classic potato egg and cheese). Somehow the brilliant idea (I'm not sure why this never occurred to me before...) came to me of getting those frozen home fries and then cooking them to put in the tacos. So hopefully that works out.
Also, I've recently discovered that pepperocinis are ridiculously delicious and add flavorful pizazz to any meal. Another good one is garlic salt. Or diced white onions.
Come to think of it, I used to stage cooking shows when I was probably about eight. I would sit on my parents' bed with a bunch of imaginary pots and pans and conjure a full course meal out of thin air. My favorite part was cracking eggs and stirring. And those tiny glass dishes that conveniently have each ingredient already perfectly measured out.
I also used to bake (unfortunately, real) "inventions." They always had some sort of creative name and basically all tasted the same. Most of the time they were muffins. Puffy muffins, fluffy muffins, fushy muffins... and then there were cookies. I distinctly remember the "yum yums" which, true enough to their name, were actually pretty tasty. Those were my only real success since I had this strange affinity for using every flavor of extract we had available (except never lemon). Everything ended up tasting like a strange conglomeration of almond, vanilla, and mint.

2 comments:

frances said...

you need to bring your yum yums to work.

love,
franny and dani

Karinne said...

I will if I dig up the recipe!