Sunday, February 8, 2009

Can Movie Move, Move

My blog is feeling rather lonely. I think maybe it needs to find some new hobbies or something. Get up off its ass and DO some LIFE.
But that's just my opinion.

Aside from that, I think I've taken probably 100+ pictures of clouds in the past two days, which is a personal record. So. Cool.
Wow.

Every time I listen to Sebastien Tellier's Roche, I'm totally inspired to make the world's sexiest beautifulest music video.
Maybe I'll get around to that.



I went to see He's Just Not That Into You last night with pretty low expectations, but surprisingly, it was actually very good. First of all, I really really really do NOT like Jennifer Aniston. But I can honestly say I liked her in this film. Either she's mellowing out in her older age or she just consciously made the decision to take horrible roles and act horribly in them for the past decade, and finally realized she was being stupid. Anyway, the film is verging on being creatively different from other chick flicks with its relative honesty and refreshing criticism of prevailing female logic. Sort of empowering in a way. I'm not so much for the overall "everybody eventually finds somebody and is a happybody" idea at the end (though there are three characters left single at the end) as I am for the whole "it's really simple, if he's not calling and making things happen he doesn't like you." Dur. But I guess a lot of us sort of need a smack in the face to bring us back to logic sometimes. In the form of an entertaining romantic comedy. If for no other reason, see it because Scarlett Johansson is the most beautiful person I have ever seen and she's IN THIS MOVIE.

Also, I finally watched Old Boy with Frances. Or rather, I watched it while Frances sat near me and snoooozed.
And I do see the similarities between it and Kill Bill, but I don't feel so much as Tarantino ripped it off as much as he was referencing it. There were definitely a couple scenes that were unmistakeable nods to Old Boy, like taking 70 steps to die. I thought that was a really clever reference. Anyway, they're both really good movies, though I must say that I think Old Boy was a lot more painful. Ow.



If you're at all into this kind of stuff, I think DJ Spooky's Rebirth of a Nation at the Alamo on the 15th looks really awesome. The original film is so frustratingly miopic that I'd be really interested in seeing what sort of direction Spooky takes it in. Plus, I love the idea of mixing media. The more senses involved in art, the better. Taste, anyone? Scratch and lick art?
YEAH

2 comments:

Tiffany Diane said...

I want to see that movie even more now. I don't always like Aniston, but I do love The Good Girl.

frances said...

me so sorry me so sleepy.