Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Wump Wump, or, Varmints

I'm not sure how good I was at throwing tantrums when I was little, but right now I feel like I could really do some damage. In particular, I want to punch through a wall of glass, rip up carpet, tear something alive into little pieces, in general just AAARRRRRRGHHH.
I heard about this place in California this lady started where you can go and smash things. You can bring your own things to destroy or they have plates there you can write on and break. You can even have them play a cd in the room while you destruct! Why isn't there one here?

OK. I just bit the hell out of my tongue. Seriously?
Anyway.

I guess in the theme of recent posts I should talk about the movies I've seen lately.
Let's see.....

There's Trainspotting, which I did really enjoy, even though it took me a good half hour to begin to comprehend what the characters were saying through their Scottish accents. But definitely very visually appealing and imaginative and creepy where it needed to be. Unfortunately, you could totally tell that baby was a robot. But I guess a dead robot zombie baby is even scarier in its own way. Awesome soundtrack, as well. Ewan McGregor is surprisingly attractive as an undernourished drug addict with dark circles under his soulful eyes. MMmmmm.



This is him coming out of the dirtiest toilet ever.

What with this and Requiem for a Dream I think I can safely say I'm never taking heroin. Whew.

On Valentine's, I, oddly enough, ventured beyond the walls of my apartment to go with my friends to see a series of animated shorts all nominated for Academy Awards this year at the Alamo. If it's still playing, I highly recommend it. It's so rare that there's a chance to see short film in a theater, and these are particularly good (duh...). I think it's a much under-appreciated medium. There's a real art to being able to tell a story that's powerful, moving, and satisfying in five minutes. Not that they're all five minutes. They just have to be under 30. But jesus, I cried during one of them. CRIED. That never happens. During a short animated film? What? I don't know.

A lot of them are really cute or funny and just make you giggly or squirmy, but there are a couple that are really just beautifully sad. Then there's a couple weird ones. And this one bad one. But just ignore that.
I think my favorite was (let's just disregard the one I cried during) "Octopadi" which was just incredibly fun and fast-paced and about OCTOPUSSES! Yes.



Lastly, I rented Showgirls the other day, which was... interesting. Totally ridiculous. I was just looking for some nice pole-dancing shots and maybe some obligatory sex and violence. But wow. Along came some really ramped up dialogue and strange lesbian innuendos. And when Elizabeth Berkley's dancing, it's really not so much seductive as violently homicidal. Or suicidal? Either way it looks painful and not at all attractive. The point where I was pretty much disengaged was when she gives her employer a whip-lash inducing lap dance that climaxes in her flopping around like a giant trout fighting for life out of water and him jizzing his pants. Charming.



If you had to miss out on one of these three movie events, I think you should opt out of the third.

Sigh.
Back to real life.

1 comment:

frances said...

ewan is a great heroin addict. dick. ADDICK. t

... ok. i'll stop.