Saturday, December 27, 2008

The Second Language

In MILANO
So... as it turns out, the world is really big. And I am very small. Somehow I only just now realized this.
Correction, it should be "a Milano"... mi dispiace.
I really wish at this point I had remembered more vocabulary from my Italian class. But I have retained a surprising amount of the language in general. Either I just look natural here or just friendly, but like three people asked me for directions today, while I was lost. But only sort of.
I figured out how to use the subway, woot.
AND, I made it to Il Duomo. Which. Is. Beautiful.
Immediately I was basically assaulted by this dude who gave me a "free" bracelet then asked for a "donation" which he got angry when I didn't give to him.
But I got lots of pictures of puffy birds and statues and the cathedral. Jesus. Literally. I just couldn't even comprehend it.
Then I wandered down the streets around, which were full of lots of very beautiful and expensive things. Maybe someday I'll have enough money just to be able to walk in the door of one of those places. I was relieved to find good old H&M, actually like three of them within five blocks.
And I can tell you a secret, the new thing is these puffy down jackets like everyone already has, but they're of this material that's shiny and almost metallic. And metallic everything is in. Like, even the old ladies are doing it.
Just a heads up.
So, tonight I'm going to go to this club, Gasoline, which looks pretty sweet, and try not to get lost, or really drunk, or abducted, or raped, or die. Wish me luck.

1 comment:

frances said...

god, you're awesome.